What to Do If You Have Water Damage in Your Home
Water damage is one of the most frustrating situations for homeowners. Whether it is from infiltration of the roof, wall cracks, capillary rise, plumbing faults, or a natural disaster, the consequences are often costly. Moisture can quickly cause considerable damage to different parts of the house and property.
In the event of water damage, you must act quickly by notifying your insurer and carrying out the repair before they become major renovations.
In this article, we will share the information and tips you need to know about it.
A problem not to be taken lightly
Before we get to the core of the matter, let’s talk about the dangers it poses if moisture is not treated properly in your home. Whether it’s a major flood or water infiltration, humidity issues are not to be taken lightly. The longer the problem is left untreated, the more damage and repair will be required. In particular, the prolonged presence of humidity invites mold, which is a bane of the integrity of real estate.
Mold affects the appearance of your home by creating black spots on the wall surface. Even worse, it affects the strength of the masonry, causes the wood to rot, and thus becomes a threat to the safety and integrity of the building. Obviously, the damage can also affect the furniture and part of the goods inside the house. Besides the material damage, mold can also lead to health hazards such as allergies, respiratory problems, etc.
Prevention is better than cure. If you are affected by the humidity problem, you must act immediately and do everything necessary to minimize the extent of the damage. With this in mind, using a professional company in disaster recovery is the best decision to make to diagnose the work and provide the appropriate cleaning interventions. Otherwise, you can follow these few steps to deal with the flood and limit the damage.
The right actions to take in the event of water damage
Find the source
First, you must try to find the source of the problem to provide the best treatment and avoid any complications. This can be a plumbing problem, damage to the tiles, infiltration of the walls, and various others.
Disconnect the electricity
In the meantime, turn off the power in the affected section to avoid short circuits or to get electrified during cleaning work. With that, unplug all electrical devices, remove damaged objects or those likely to be such as furniture, appliances, etc. This will help protect your belongings and facilitate cleaning and overhaul.
Drying and dehumidification of the premises
Now is the time to drain the water. You can do this in distinct ways. Pumps can be used to suck up water efficiently and quickly. But if you do not have the means to get the equipment, you can proceed with the manual method by providing a bucket, a cloth, and a squeegee. For your safety, always wear protective equipment including rubber boots and gloves.
At this point, it is very likely that water will seep through the walls, into the ceiling, and the floor. Be sure to ventilate the room well to promote drying. This process can take a long time, but using an air dehumidifier can help a lot.
Clean and disinfect the area
After drying the area, proceed with the cleaning and disinfection of the premises. Indeed, the flood is likely to deposit dangerous germs and bacteria. Thorough cleaning and proper disinfection will ensure hygiene in the premises, but also prevent the development of mold on the surface. This relatively complex step, requires specific know-how, equipment, and products to ensure impeccable premises. To guarantee an effective intervention, it is advisable to call on a professional for cleaning up after a disaster.
How a carpet cleaning company can help with water damage
By requesting the service of a professional carpet cleaning company, you benefit from the know-how of an experienced team that has the right equipment to ensure the restoration of your home. In addition, this professional is used to this kind of situation and can help you in the steps relating to the renovation of your property.
How to Hire the Right Carpet Cleaning Company to Fix Water Damage
Finding the right carpet cleaning company to help with your water damage problem is important. It decides whether you actually solve the problem or make it worse. With that said, we have compiled a few essential tips to help make the right decision with carpet cleaners.
- Consider a carpet cleaning company’s reputation before hiring them. Many carpet cleaning companies exist, but unfortunately, all are created differently. Some have more experience and are simply better than others. You should seek out opinions from your family and friends and check for reviews online. You can then be better able to find the carpet cleaning service that fits your budget and needs.
- When you are considering hiring a carpet cleaning company, you must ask about the types of solvents and chemicals they will be using. Many companies still use harsh chemicals, but a quick search online will help you to find out which companies use green products.
- If you are looking into having your carpets cleaned, you should understand how the pricing structure works. That means they charge you a low fee initially but will keep offering you additional, more expensive products and services that other people have tried.
- A reputable carpet cleaner will give you a guarantee. If the business does not offer a warranty, look for another company. You should allow the company to back up their guarantee if things don’t go right the first time. Ask for a refund if you are still not happy with their service.
- Just because a carpet cleaner is using a brand-name product, that doesn’t mean they do a better job than anyone else. Check for genuine certifications, licensing and insurance any time you are considering hiring a carpet cleaning company.
- Always examine your carpet warranty before going forward with carpet cleaning services. You may have a carpet that has a stain treatment built in, and putting a different product on it may affect the warranty. You will eventually spend more and the chemicals may not coincide with one another.
- The company should move your furniture for free. Even the carpet cleaning company will include the move of your furnishings free of charge, you should handle the fragile items yourself. Even if a company promises nothing bad will happen, it is still not wise to trust someone else with your valuables.
- Some companies will move your furniture. That is good, but move things that are especially valuable yourself, to ensure nothing is damaged. It is best not to take any risks, even if your carpet cleaner is insured and seems reliable enough to take good care of your valuables.
If you’re able to implement these tips, you are sure to nail yourself a great carpet cleaning company. If you are a resident of Concord, Walnut Creek, San Ramon, Danville, Blackhawk, and its nearby cities, you don’t need to look too far. Accents in Cleaning is one of the best carpet cleaners in the area. Just give us a call and water damage will be a thing of the past for you.