Water damage can happen to anyone. It’s a frustrating experience for homeowners.
Whether it is from infiltration of the roof, wall cracks, capillary rise, plumbing faults, or a natural disaster, the consequences are often costly. Moisture can quickly cause considerable damage to different parts of the house and property.
In the event of water damage, you must act quickly by notifying your insurer and carrying out the repair before they become major renovation.
In this article, we will share the information and tips you need to know about it.
A problem not to be taken lightly
Before we get to the core of the matter, let’s talk about the dangers it poses if moisture is not treated properly in your home. Whether it’s a major flood or water infiltration, humidity issues are not to be taken lightly. The longer the problem is left untreated, the more damage and repair will be required. In particular, the prolonged presence of humidity invites mold, which is a bane of the integrity of real estate.
Mold affects the appearance of your home by creating black spots on the wall surface. Even worse, it affects the strength of the masonry, causes the wood to rot and thus becomes a threat to the safety and integrity of the building. Obviously, the damage can also affect the furniture and part of the goods inside the house. Besides the material damage, mold can also lead to health hazards such as allergies, respiratory problems, etc.
Prevention is better than cure. If you are affected by the humidity problem, you must act immediately and do everything necessary to minimize the extent of the damage. With this in mind, using a professional company in disaster recovery is the best decision to make to diagnose the work and provide the appropriate cleaning interventions. Otherwise, you can follow these few steps to deal with the flood and limit the damage.
Steps to fix your water damage problem
1. Find the source
First, you must try to find the source of the problem to provide the best treatment and avoid any complications. This can be a plumbing problem, damage to the tiles, infiltration of the walls, and various others.
2. Disconnect the electricity
In the meantime, turn off the power in the affected section to avoid short circuits or to get electrified during cleaning work. With that, unplug all electrical devices, remove damaged objects or those likely to be such as furniture, appliances, etc. This will help protect your belongings and facilitate cleaning and overhaul.
3. Drying and dehumidification of the premises
Now is the time to drain the water. You can do this in distinct ways. Pumps can be used to suck up water efficiently and quickly. But if you do not have the means to get the equipment, you can proceed with the manual method by providing a bucket, a cloth and a squeegee. For your safety, always wear protective equipment including rubber boots and gloves.
At this point, it is very likely that water will seep through the walls, into the ceiling and the floor. Be sure to ventilate the room well to promote drying. This process can take a long time, but using an air dehumidifier can help a lot.
4. Clean and disinfect the area
After drying the area, proceed with the cleaning and disinfection of the premises. Indeed, the flood is likely to deposit dangerous germs and bacteria. Thorough cleaning and proper disinfection will ensure hygiene in the premises, but also to prevent the development of mold on the surface. This relatively complex step, requiring specific know-how, equipment, and products to ensure impeccable premises. To guarantee an effective intervention, it is advisable to call on a professional for cleaning up after a disaster.
How a carpet cleaning company can help with water damage
By requesting the service of a professional carpet cleaning company, you benefit from the know-how of an experienced team that has the right equipment to ensure the restoration of your home. In addition, this professional is used to this kind of situation and can help you in the steps relating to the renovation of your property.
How to hire the right carpet cleaner to help with fixing the water damage
- Using a popular product does not make a company any better than anyone else. You need to do some research to make sure they are properly certified. You can simply ask them and then follow up on your own to verify the information.
- Before hiring a carpet cleaning company, make sure they actually have an office. You should be able to go to an address if any issues arise. If they have a P.O. box as a business address, you need to find a different company.
- Make sure to warn the cleaning company about electrical sockets that are set into the floor. Cleaning them could cause a serious problem. This can damage both your home and their equipment.
- After they are done with the cleaning, ask the contractor if they can recommend any tips for carpet care. You can often get valuable advice on how frequently you should vacuum, how long the carpets will take to dry, as well as recommendations for stain removers for future spills or accidents. The advice they give you can help keep your carpet looking great for a long time after the cleaning.
- If someone wants to be a professional carpet cleaner, they need to have certification from the IICRC. This certification is widely recognized in the cleaning industry. Particularly if there is a warranty on your carpet, you need to have someone in who knows what they are doing. Your carpet manufacturer may decide to void your warranty if uncertified contractors are performing carpet cleaning services.
Keep these tips in mind when choosing the right carpet cleaning company to fix your water damage. You should now be able to make an informed decision that gets your carpet clean of water damage without cleaning out your wallet.